The zmas latest ride from the urban jungles of Mumbai to through the arid terrain of Gujarat till the Great Indian desert and back.. hop on board with ace lensman Mehul Gohil as he takes you through this very picturesque journey filled with a hot cultural blend of colours, kms and the open road called life!

Friday, January 25, 2008

I badly badly wanted to go on a damn long ride as I had had enough of the urban jungle we call Mumbai. The traffic, chaos…the mind simply couldn’t take much any further! That’s why a little jitteriness had crept in because of the long gap( as i last rode long 2 years back!), and a ride was badly required to give my spirits a little boost plus it would be a very good chance to try out some more things in photography and improve on them. The D80 was soo yearning to freak out!

So folks, the ultimate plan was decided. Nisarg was also free and wanted to go on a long ride. We zeroed in upon Rajasthan, & maybe even go till Agra and come back. For me the ride would include Gujarat as well as its my native place.

Without thinking much, I christen my journey,’ The Karizma Express- Mumbai- Gujarat- Rajasthan- Mumbai' for a simple reason, the ZMA would be going on its longest haul ever and there would be considerable amount of freight as well. Seeing its capabilities, well, it truly is a 'touring' express and thats why, our very own Karizma Express

It was Diwali time & service stations were running packed. Before I decided the date of departure, the Bike had to be readied. Luckily, Fortpoint wasn’t having as much rush, and after meeting Kevin and telling him point by point what had to be done, I gave the Bike in. I just admire the passion he puts into his work, its really seen to be believed! Awesome. Plus that hes always overflowing with knowledge, makes him a real nice guy to talk with. The express was nearing 12000 kms and I really wanted to go as long as I can. Importantly, the mind had forgotten the real pleasures the journey would bring and leaving behind all desires, wants and unwanted thoughts was the foremost thing galloping around the head! It was just 12 hrs before everything would change. Not even a days worth of riding! All the negative things were mere flies that had to swatted away. Pleasures of flying were coming up and re-discovery was awaiting.

I wanted a proper arrangement of the luggage and wanted the Cramsters badly. Luckily found out a dealer here, I knew the place, took Mohsin along and checked the stuff out. The person, Mr Jitesh was very cool in showing the stuff around. The shops name is Smart Design, located @ Wadala. I was still a little skeptical so as to how much those bags would accommodate. Anyway, we went ahead, n changed the bikes horn from General Electric, Opera house. Lastly got a tubeless tire repair kit. I didn’t order the saddles as the tankbag wasn’t available then. So, I paid up for it and asked KJ to courier it directly to Gujarat. Luckily Jitesh gave me a color option( since only camouflage was in stock) and I settled for red keeping aside black.

Got the saddlebags next day & began with the packing. The luggage was a bit more because of Diwali plus I had to carry my tripod as well. All was cool once I began that enormous task. The cramsters started turning out to be a boon. They took in everything neatly, and the smile on the face kept broadening! Excellent I must say, terrific VFM. Early next day, got the bike, met up Kevin as he wished me luck. Checked the throttle and boy it was asking me to rev more. Since this was a buffer day, got time to meet Mohsin too & he too wished me luck. All was now set. This gave a shot of confidence that I was royally missing a lot and more importantly it kindled a little fire in the belly whose heat I had already started to feel. Woooow..!!

The Ride day:

I wanted to begin early , but it always goes against your wishes doesn’t it. To add to my woes, one more bag had to be included & tying everything up took its time. Still, better late than never and I was off by 8, too late! The pothole ridden Mumbai roads made sure that I didn’t cross the city limits within an hour. Shit!! The roads after Malad were a havoc simply because of the the construction of new flyovers going on. After Dahisar it was even worse and I wasn’t able to ride at more than 60. Hell ya! The mayhem continued till Talasri and I started to wonder whether the roads right uptil Surat are like these??!! Bad patches I must tell you, real nasty! Finally, Manor came and the roads eased up and it was time to take my first break.

“ When you know better, you can do better” goes the saying and true! I had done this road earlier but didnt know the present condition.. I mean nobody would want to ride on their bikes at 80 or more on such, miserable, pitiful roads. Yea the officials always forget the monsoons are over and unless accidents take place, it strikes to them about the upkeep. Bull shit really. So I was late again, bottomline, but made up for that big time by hitting Surat at 1230 sharp, with consistent speeds of 90-95 and some bursts of 100s. This was THE ride I was awaiting and now was starting to get a feel of things back on the highway. The open roads, the topography around was just captured by the eyes as they zoomed in & out to take innumerable photos every second! Kevin had done an awesome job on the bike, it was all evident as whichever cog I put it in, it was just revving so happily and smoothly, waiting to be pushed more and more and more! Ahh, the yesteryears were being relived. The Express was now back on track.

As the rats now started to play cricket and kabbaddi n what not in the stomach, took a halt at Hotel Surbhi rightaway. This place sure is damn popular with motorists. Ample shady parking and reasonably priced good food. The weather wasnt that hot and the halt wasnt a long one. Quickly freshened up n back to the road. Now that the bad ones were behind me, it was hopeful to say the roads ahead would be the same. But nope, that wasn’t gonna be and I was completely unaware of the expansion work going on between Surat and Bharuch. Just after I crossed the Kamrej naka, the torrid testing times began. The tarmac was once again non-existent and was really butt breaking, let alone crushing.. The potholes and the mangled patches of tar on tar just wrecked the shocks. It was really difficult to maintain composure while riding. To add to this, the evergreen 4 wheel brigade was ever so ready to honk you out of their ways. Rascaaaaaaaaaaals! This made me decide up one thing- to speed up when you spot a good patch and immediately slow down through the others. It made sense and it worked because half the time I was on the right lane trying to keep off the under construction left. Since the weather wasn’t as hot, the energy levels were maintained.

On and on till Baroda, the roads continued as they were and I could manage that despite the luggage I had. Thanks Cramster! Finally around 530, hopped onto the Vasad diversion( coz of the expressway entry) and the final stretch of the better roads began. When you go touring, your are all set and happy, in a jovial state of mind, until you go through these bad roads. Eating ‘em up is physically taxing and mentally draining too. You just keep wishing that these stretches get over quickly. Now finally all that was behind me, I heaved a huge sigh of relief. The odo showed 400 kms. Yipee!! , Ahmedabad wasn’t far away.

Winters are kind of less existent in Mumbai, so as it started to get dark, the cool breeze started to flow in! Wow, this wasn’t there in the mind at all. Half an hour into the evening & I was back in my spirits. The nip in the air relaxed me completely and the ZMA felt even more rev happy. I took one hand off the handle and punched the air. All of a sudden it felt the ride, the best one had just begun! Now it started to get a little foggy too and home was still a few hours away. Citing the valuable time I had I took halts wherever I felt like to capture the picturesque land passing by in the twilight hours. It was really really amazing. Doing low light photography is tough but managed to take a few cool shots. Spirits were now high. What was also amazing to see was every head turning my way as it went past me! “How do these guys go touring?” must have been the obvious question in their minds!!

And finally finally, the stars were up and it got dark. Uptil Anand had a nice little race with a cbz-x. After a very boring day, this did wonders to rekindle the spirits again. Once I was past him, then he went past me, uptil then when I couldn’t risk freaking out in the dark and the two laned highway added to the woes as the incoming lights proved just too much. The Vidya nagar section is a tricky one especially because of the trucks and rickshawallahs intertwining your track. The Philips 60-55 bulb still proved unworthy at times, but managed somehow. Home was now nearing but was still far!

Ultimately, took the diversion at Kheda, which came after a lot of patience, onto the SH to Dholka and took a final right to Bavla, my native place. These were isolated, unlit roads and anything could happen at night. Still tried having some fun, and switched off the main lights, kept the pilots on. Watching them and the moon on the right made up for what was the best shot of the day! One of those few situations where you cant halt and take pix. The clock hit 9, then 20 mins later, there I was home. Everybody home was outside as I approached. The ZMA express finally came to a halt after 523 kms and as many hours of riding. Rolled the hands in the air n gave a punch again. That smile was as broad as it could be. Mumbai, would now wait:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home